Tuesday 20 September 2011

Making the right choices

I'm into my second week at college this week. I recived my textbook for psychology. It weighs around the same as my two year old and I would say the same thickness as war and peace. I traisped it all the way into college today, my arms actually aching as I lobbed it down on the table once in class. Going by the amount of information we were bombarded with today I have to say that I can now see the necessity of needing a book so large and cumbersome. Fortunately for me, I have been informed I don't actually need it for college but for home research purposes so no more achey arms.

Anyway you're probably all wondering what the heck this has to do with making the right choices....we were talking about the arguements many psychologists have and what freewill vs. determinism meant. How we as human beings have the freewill to make our choices how we see fit versus the predetermination that everything is our life is set out in a certain way and 'everything happens for a reason' For example the predetermination that a person is fat or thin, is it in the genes? Or is it the persons freewill or choice that they stuff themselves with creamcakes and chocolate and wonder why they're overweight. Are people naturally skinny or are they just mindful of the choices they make when eating.

These all rang true for me this evening when I thought about the food I ate today.

Breakfast: 2 weetabix with semi skimmed milk
Lunch: Ham salad sandwich on wholemeal with low fat spread and no mayo (brought in Greggs)
Snack: A small pancake with the kids and a thin spread of nutella
Dinner: Lentil soup and a small bread roll
Snack: 2 slices of soreen

I would usually have three weetabix for breakfast because I am a pig and like to feel full up until lunchtime, but its not about feeling full up, more satisfied that you've eaten enough. I went into Greggs for a sandwich at lunchtime and had a whole host of temptations waved under my nose and I resisted the little voices telling me to have a fresh cream apple danish or a chocolate eclair to go with my healthy sandwich and diet coke, however come afterschool time I was starving and knew I wouldn't last until dinner after college so gave in to temptation by having the last pancake with Stacey and the kids. I wouldn't have had one at all but there was some mix left over and it lasted just long enough to see me through college to have my low fat soup and soreen for tea.

So you see I could have done a hell of a lost worse with the choices I made but also I could have done better. We all have choices, just ensure you make the right ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment