Wednesday 21 September 2011

My necessary evil experience

As promised I thought I would explain my experience

It was over and done with in less than three minutes. The nurse checked I was comfortable first. How you can be comfortable about the prospect of having a plastic duck bill shaped device shoved up your jack and danny and opened and then what looks like a toilet brush inserted into the end of it and twizzled around your cervix I don't know but I guess she asks because she has to.





I'm not going to lie the procedure was uncomfortable and I've had some period type cramping and a bit of spotting since. The best thing I can recommend is to relax, take long deep breaths and try and not think about what is happening.

The nurse uses a small instrument called a speculum to gently open the vagina. A small brush is then used to sweep around the cervix to take a sample of cells, the head of the brush, where the cells are lodged, is broken off into a small container of preservative fluid, or rinsed directly into the preservative fluid and set off to the laboratory to be looked at under the microscope.

I would say the worse thing for me was laying there legs akimbo with the speculum inside of me whilst she was sorting out the brush when all I wanted to do was get up and get dressed.

All said and done, I got myself all worked up for nothing really. It wasn't that bad, and if you can handle the slight embarassment you'll be fine. It could save your life. What's a little bit of embarassment in front of a nurse against potentially cancer......??

No comments:

Post a Comment